Monday 11 June 2018

Meenmutty Falls


Ponmudi is probably one among the well-known tourist places in the capital city, Trivandrum. But not many visit the Meenmutty Falls when they are enroute Ponmudi. Right across the base station of the Ponmudi lies Meenmutty Falls. Meenmutty is often visited less because it will take you at least half an hour to get to the falls. Not to be confused with the one in Banasura Hill, Wayanad- Meenmutty falls situated in Trivandrum is comparatively smaller and its on the path of Kallar river.

For a person to reach Meenmutty falls, one should walk 2 kilometers into the dense forest. Unlike walking around in the city, trekking into the falls area is nothing short of being called as an adventurous trek. Filled with rocks, the proper construction for stairways is lacking and the side rails are not constructed properly as well. That being said, for older ones and kids, it is required to not to take the risk on mounting the falls. After all, you get a smaller falls with a good view. Once again making the point clear, there is no transportation means inside the forest.

I visited the Meenmutty falls on the peak monsoon season. Luckily enough, I did find a good enough flow of water since I visited on monsoon. The locals told me that it is not worth visiting the place on a hot sunny day of summer since the flow will be close to nothing. The trek to the falls was hard but achievable. Mainly, it was the slippery rocks that made the trek hard but it was worth it. 



Once I got into the fall section, I quickly soaked my feet into the breezy water as I was a bit tired challenging myself to complete the trek under 30 mins. The water was so cold and the dip was so satisfying that it made me sit there for few minutes experiencing the overall ambience of the place. I was told to not to take a bath as the flow might unexpectedly increase. So I only spent 30-45 minutes soaking my feet.


The plan was to spend some time in Meenmutty Falls and fall back to the Ponmudi station. That's what I exactly did. The trek to the falls was amazing and it will be fun if you take your friends with you. And you can find some good places to snap a pic or two. Other than that, Athirapally is still the best falls I've been to and Meenmutty doesn't even stand a chance next to it.


Contributed by Sooraj Ram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonacaud - the Haunted Wonder

It is hard to not to stumble across Bonacaud if you are one among the riders planning on taking a transit to the infamous Ponmudi hill sta...